Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 4: Post-Experiment Statistics; The Cleanse Begins

Thursday morning, following a 72-hour intake of calories that would normally be suited to be consumed over 30 days, not three. I woke up and felt awful. I was sore all over, my head was killing me, my stomach hurt and at the same time, I was starving. My body, apparently after growing accustomed to this eating pattern, wanted more, and unfortunately for it, my mind denied it of everything. After packing up, I took a shower, grabbed a couple of apples, a bottle of water and was on the road home (literally and figuratively).

The drive home was peaceful. Listened to music, contemplated what I had done, tried to study closely how I felt and what my body was telling me. I have to say, despite numerous distractions, every sign I passed advertising a cheeseburger or tasty dessert, tempted me. I began to feel a slight addiction to this food, even though I kept telling myself not to eat anymore, I wanted to. There was some sort of desire that made everything else feel inconsequential, that we could always "get on the wagon next time." I saw first hand how easy it is to just continue a lifestyle like this on a daily basis and put off taking control and getting into shape. It got worse as I got near home, a stop at a gas station saw me go inside and pass up so many tempting items that just a day ago I would've had a field day with. I ended up settling with a pack of gum and a banana. Let me also add that the gum is a great way to stop intense cravings, and I figure to go through quite a bit immediately following the experiment.

As I arrived home, I unpacked everything, and then knew it was time to face the facts. It was time to take my stats again, and see exactly what the 72-hours of sabotage had really done to my body. Keep in mind, despite feeling crappy, looking worse and battling my mind (and appetite), I knew the telling signs would be the statistics. And despite drinking a few bottles of water, eating three apples and a banana thus far on the day, I wasn't really prepared for what the numbers would really say. They are below:

Statistics as of 5:30 PM on 08/12/2010:

Age: 26
Height: 5'7
Weight: 161.4 lbs
Waist: 35.0 inches
Midsection: 35.0 inches
Blood Sugar (fasting): 111 mg/dL
Blood Pressure: 122/70
Pulse (resting): 69 BPM

The evening of 08/12/2010, I attempted to run, on a slight incline, for 8 minutes at 6 MPH. My legs cramped up and I had to stop and only maintain a light jog the rest of the way. I ended up walking at a 3 MPH pace for another 42 minutes, but after the workout, my feet were almost numb and I was visibly tired and winded. I felt completely spent after a workout that would generally be something I could do very easily.

After this, I decided to take some Tylenol, eat a couple of egg whites and another apple and hit the hay for the night. I figured it may be a rough night because my body was being deprived of the routine it had come to expect over the past 3 days, so I got comfortable and expected it to be a LONG night.

No comments: