Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 2: Waking Up Sucks...The Shock Continues

It was a crazy first 24 hours and my body was definitely trying to tell me so as I crawled out of bed after about 5 hours of sleep on Tuesday. With that said, I knew to complete this, I had to keep rolling, and boy did I!

We started with the typical breakfast of loaded coffee, 4 Pop Tarts, 2 bowls of Cocoa Krispies and then some random goodies (candy, cookies and more coffee). It was then time to check-in with the laptop and access the internet (we had no WiFi at the cabin) so the trip to the local coffee shop was next in-line. After arriving there, I noticed the massive cinnamon rolls they had on display, freshly baked (this was around 9:30 AM) and I had to have one. After some browsing and pounding the cinnamon roll, it was time to head out. After a quick trip to the gas station, I began my journey down I-27, which has basically everything you can want. Then I saw it. White Castle. Another thing I haven't indulged in for a few years, and I had to stop. Five bacon cheeseburgers and a large Diet Coke later, I was on my way home.

After about an hour of packing for the daily boat trip, a shower and another Diet Coke, it was time to head out for lunch at the marina. It was about a half-hour drive, and after launching the boat (I basically watched, wouldn't want to exert myself), we headed to the Marina Restaurant. The moment I saw the menu, I knew. It was going to be a Philly cheesesteak with a side order of fries, a gallon of ketchup and a large Diet Coke. After downing that bad boy, it was time for the banana split with chocolate syrup added. Definitely worth it, but at that point, it was a little before 1PM and I was definitely feeling it. I washed it down with a banana Moonpie and a pack of chewy Sprees before heading out on the boat for the day.

After a few hour break, sitting on the boat, doing a little rafting on the back of the boat, it was time to come back aboard and indulge in a few snacks. Thank goodness, there were no sweets on board for the day, because given my consumption of those in the past 24 hours, I probably couldn't have handled it. With that said, half a bag of honey pretzel sticks, a few handfuls of Lay's chips, some Original Chex Mix and two packs of Ritz Garlic & Herb crackers were enough to hold me over until dinner. Of course, two Diet Pepsi's helped aid digestion so that I could even make it to dinner.

We arrived back at the cabin around 6 PM, and after a quick shower, it was off to dinner. One of my favorite places was the choice, Bob Evans, and of course, I had been craving buttermilk pancakes. We started with a Diet Coke, ordered a strawberry-banana smoothie, and then came the four buttermilk pancakes, 2 dinner rolls and 2 sausage patties. Definitely worth it, covered with butter and syrup, I was in heaven. A little water to wash it down, and I was about as stuffed as possible.

At this point, I was feeling overloaded. Not only did I feel full, but I felt like it was almost the maximum amount of food my body could handle at once. I could barely make it to the car, but once I sat down, things magically improve and you start to relax and digest. A stop at Kroger for some supplies ended the trip home, and thank goodness for the 10 for 10 deals in the bakery section.

After getting home, grabbing another drink, we sat down to play some more cards. Of course, after a few hands, those desserts started beckoning. Two slices of carrot cake, a piece of apple pie, two packs of individual brownie bites, a strawberry/cheese coffee cake and two rice krispie treats were all there for the taking, along with the homemade chocolates, M&M's and other various goodies in the house. My dessert that night consisted of the two slices of carrot cake, four pieces of chocolate, a pack of M&M's, two more apple cinnamon pastries and ended with a hamburger with a slice of cheese on a bun. I was feeling good that night, washing it down with a diet coke, and I relaxed playing cards and then when everyone went to bed, playing some Baseball Mogul on the computer.

I wasn't tired, and it was going on 3 AM, and I decided to take some Tylenol PM to aid with the headache pain and assist me in falling asleep. Right before bed though, the sugar addiction kicked in and I downed another dozen pieces of homemade chocolate and half a pound of deli turkey (had to get some protein haha). It was then off to sleep, with assistance of the sleep aid and pain killer. Lets just say I was "out" for a while.

Although I ended up sleeping until around noon the next day, that night was rough. I woke up multiple times to go to the bathroom, and I sweated like no other that night. I'm sure my blood sugar was through the roof, and given the amount of food that had gone through my body in the previous 32 hours, my digestive system was WAY behind. I'm sure the kidneys and liver were also struggling, and I could definitely tell the heart was racing with the intake of caffeine and sugar because it was racing and I was very jittery. It felt like one of my old high glucose attacks, but intensified time ten. Very uncomfortable, and although you can't sit still or sleep, the only thing I wanted to do was bury my head in the pillow and sleep for the next week. Luckily, there was only one day to do...

No comments: